Hospital/Homebound (HHB) services are designed to provide continuity of educational services between the classroom and home or hospital for students in Georgia public schools whose medical needs, either physical or psychiatric, do not allow them to attend school for a limited period of time. HHB instruction may be used to supplement the classroom program for students with health impairments whose conditions may interfere with regular school attendance (e.g., students receiving dialysis or radiation/chemotherapy or students with other serious health conditions). Students must be enrolled in a public school in Georgia in order to receive HHB services.
HHB services are not intended to supplant regular school services and are by design temporary. The student must anticipate being absent from school for a minimum of ten consecutive or intermittent school days due to a medical or psychiatric condition. On a high school block schedule, the student must anticipate being absent from school for 5 consecutive days. The student’s inability to attend school due to a medical or psychiatric condition must be certified by the licensed physician or licensed psychiatrist who is currently treating the student for the diagnosis presented.
Parents may request HHB services by contacting the HHB Coordinator at the local school.
Franklin County High School: Jamie Horne, Assistant Principal
Franklin County Middle School: Kasey Haley, Assistant Principal
Carnesville Elementary School: Delina Wester, Assistant Principal
Lavonia Elementary School: Laura Baskins, Assistant Principal
Royston Elementary School: Angela McGarity, Assistant Principal
HHB Process Quick View:
· Parents should request a referral packet from the student’s school or download the packet from the website.
· The completed packet, including both parent and physician information and signatures, should be returned to the school coordinator.
· The school HHB coordinator will assign a teacher and meet with the SST/IEP team to develop an Education Service Plan/IEP.
Completed HHB packet will be sent to the District HHB Coordinator.
· District HHB Coordinator will review and contact teacher.
· The teacher will contact the parent to determine an instructional schedule.